Sunday, March 11, 2012

Weekend Themes - 'Hang stuff on z wall'

As a new mom, it can feel like 'getting stuff done' which was once difficult has suddenly become impossible. I'm a 'to-do' list kinda gal and not being able to check stuff off my list drives me bonkers. I'm the kind of gal that will write 'write a to-do list' as the first item on my list, if you catch my drift.

So this whole mom-to-an-infant-can't-plan-a-day-let-alone-get-everything-you-want-done thing is hard on me. Please note, I am not a highly motivated person. I'm not talking about mommy Olympics like some moms can accomplish - painting furniture, cooking 3 home cooked meals, being awesome, going to the zoo, all before 4pm. No, I'm talking about simpler things. Unpacking my pre-maternity cloths and figuring out what fits, cleaning the bathroom (still needs to be done) and other general household things.

Enter 'Weekend Themes'. I have given up on the 'to-do' list. Crossing everything off that list is a dream long gone. In embracing my new mama-of-a-newborn role, I've decided to have Weekend Themes instead of a to-do list. You pick a theme, you get at least ONE thing done towards that theme and you call it a day (or rather, a weekend). If you get more than one thing done regarding the theme, well look at you - you Olympic mama! And if you only get one thing done, well - ATTA GIRL YOU GOT ONE THING DONE WITH A NEWBORN IN TOW! Seriously, good job.

This weekend's theme was 'Hang stuff on z wall' - yes you need a cool accent for your theme. I have been very fortunate to have a professional photographer document our journey as a family. We have maternity shots and newborn shots and we'll have plenty of sessions coming up every few months this year. That means, you guessed it, lots of stuff to hang on the wall! I hate that I begged and pleaded for us to find the money for this photographer yet these photos have been sitting around, not-on-the-wall. I am DONE WIT ZIS! On z wall they go!


These were my living room walls before my grand adventure of hangin' stuff on z wall (I really have no idea what kind of accent that is). Nice and green, my living room! And the wall above the couch - EMPTY! There had been three paintings hanging there but I had used that 3M velcro to hang them and one hot day this summer - plunk, plunk, plunk. On the floor they went. And the wall has been blank ever since. Shopko was celebrating their 50th anniversary - GO SHOPKO! - and were having quite the sale. One set of shelves and two black picture frames later I had a plan. In my head, this plan was going to be super easy. Reality - not so much. It was like high school math class but with uneven floors and a crying newborn. At one point, I was ready to say "You know what, Mr. K. you do it." but then that awesome little feminist in me took over. I thought "I used to do this kind of stuff all the time before Mr. K. - why can't I figure this out on my own?" And you know what, I did! Here is the end result:







and...
That's the hunky Mr. K.
Is there more I would have liked to accomplish within this weekend's theme? Uh, yeah! There are three oval frames in the dinning room that I'd like to hang that have current pictures of Burst, Zippo and Nugget. But you know what mamas, there's always next weekend. And in the end, I'd rather skip the mama Olympics and cuddle with Nugget (which I totally did for 2 hours before I wrote this post).

P.S. - I think this post might set a record for hyphen usage.

5 comments:

  1. Ok, ok- I love your pictures and all that you hung up, but can we talk about your wall color????!!! It's frickin' GORGEOUS! You are so brave to put such a bold color up. Next time I decide to paint I so need to bring you along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- we need a photo tour of your home because just this little bit is kind of a tease. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah everyone thought I was crazy when I choose the "baby olive" paint swatch. But I love my green living room and I love how different the color looks throughout the day. But a photo tour of my home? LOL, yeah don't know about that. The only reason these pictures look so good is cuz you can't see the floor or the coffee table or the computer desks...

      I'd love to help you pick out paint colors! It's one of my favorite things to do. I painted my office (now the nursery) purple and gray - you might have seen the pics on my other blog. And I painted my bedroom a pale yellow and Mr. K's office I painted teal. I love painting. If I ever get the time and motivation I'd strip the wallpaper off in my dining room, patch up the walls and go crazy with paint colors in there too. But that is A LOT of work... I might decide to repaint my bedroom first - I've been itching for a blue-gray room. LOL.

      Delete
  3. lmao @ mommy Olympics!! oh man...I remember the days when having 5 minutes to take a shower was considered a successful day.
    Hang in there- sounds like you're doing great. Just live in the moment for now - (there's probably not much else you CAN do). Relax, enjoy and trash the to-do lists. Those days are gone.
    Beautiful blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I'm right there with ya mama :)

    ReplyDelete